Denver Pet Partners does not train animals. We educate the human end of the leash (the Handler) as an animal-assisted intervention (AAI) volunteer for facilities and events in the Denver area.
Included in the Pet Partners training are subjects such as risk management, infection control, engaging with different populations, recognizing stress signs in animals, and advocating for your therapy animal. To become a volunteer therapy animal/handler team, you must first take either an instructor-led Handler Training Class, which is for the handler only (there are no animals in the class) or an Therapy Animal Handler Online Course, which is offered by Pet Partners on their web site. After successful completion of either class, trainees are required to pass an online assessment. You and your animal can then be evaluated in a Team Evaluation, a 22-part skills and aptitude test. After passing the team evaluation, you are ready to register as a therapy animal/handler team with Pet Partners. You must re-evaluate every two years. **Note – DPP will not offer the instructor-led Handler Training Course in 2020.
You can sign up for the Pet Partners Therapy Animal Handler Online Course and Team Evaluation below. You may also register for the new half-day workshop training – Handling Skills for Safe Visits: Preparation for your Team Evaluation and Beyond which is designed to supplement knowledge gained in the online course. Classes and evaluations fill up quickly, so you are encouraged to sign up early. To sign up for the Online Handler Training class, go to https://petpartners.org/learn/online-education/.
- Create a login to the Pet Partners site – www.petpartners.org
- Log in and click Courses and Events. This button will bring you to the Training Center.
- Click Sign Up in the menu bar near the top of the page.
- Choose your course on the left, add it to your cart, and check out to complete the transaction.
Pet Partners® Handler Training Courses – 2020
Denver Pet Partners will be offering the half day Pet Partners workshop – Handling Skills for Safe Visits: Preparation for your Team Evaluation and Beyond on the following dates in 2020: NOTE – The prerequisite for this workshop is the Therapy Animal Handler Online Course or the Handler Training Workshop. You do not need to be a DPP member to sign up for this half-day workshop. We welcome anyone who has completed the Pet Partners Handler Training.
- Saturday, March 28, 2020, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (location: Parker Adventist Hospital, Parker CO) (NOTE: This workshop is canceled. Please consider registering for a future workshop. If you are registered for this workshop, you will be receiving further communication from us.)
- Saturday, May 16, 2020, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (location: Platte Valley Medical Center, Brighton CO)
- Saturday, August 22 2020, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (location: Parker Adventist Hospital, Parker CO)
- Saturday, October 24, 2020, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (location: Swedish Medical Center, Englewood CO)
Course fee: $50 (DPP members may attend for $25)
Additional training events for 2020 will be published soon. Please check back.
CLICK THIS LINE TO REGISTER FOR “HANDLING SKILLS FOR SAFE VISITS: PREPARATION FOR YOUR TEAM EVALUATION AND BEYOND”.
Note: You do not need to be a DPP Member to sign up for this course.
Pet Partners® Team Evaluations – 2020
Denver Pet Partners will be offering Pet Partners Team Evaluations on the following dates in 2020:
- Saturday & Sunday, April 18-19, 2020 (@ Rocky Vista University) (NOTE: These evaluations are canceled. Please consider registering for the June evaluations. If you are already registered for April, you will be receiving further communication from us.)
- Saturday & Sunday, June 6-7, 2020 (@ Rocky Vista University)
- Saturday, September 26, 2020 (@ Platte Valley Medical Center)
- Saturday & Sunday, November 7-8, 2020 (@ Rocky Vista University)
Evaluation fee: $25
Additional evaluation dates for 2020 will be published soon. Please check back.