Denver Pet Partners does not train animals. We educate the human end of the leash (the Handler) on subjects such as risk management, infection control, engaging with different populations, recognizing stress signs in animals, and advocating for your therapy animal. To become a therapy animal/handler team, you must first take either an in-person Handler Training Class, which is for the handler only (there are no animals in the class) or an online Handler Training Class, which is offered by Pet Partners on their web site. After successful completion of either class, you and your animal can then be evaluated in a Team Evaluation, a 22-part skills and aptitude test. When you and your animal pass the team evaluation, you are ready to register as a therapy animal/handler team with Pet Partners. You must re-evaluate every two years.
You can sign up for the in-person Handler Training Class and Team Evaluation below. Classes and evaluations fill up quickly, so you are encouraged to sign up early. To sign up for the online Handler Training class, go to https://petpartners.org/learn/online-education/.
Pet Partners® Handler Training Courses – 2019
Denver Pet Partners will be offering Pet Partners Handler Training courses on the following dates in 2019:
- Saturday, January 26, 2019 (@ Swedish Medical Center)
- Saturday, April 27, 2019 (@ Parker Adventist Hospital)
- Saturday, September 14, 2019 (@ Platte Valley Medical Center)
Note: You do not need to be a DPP Member to sign up for Handler Training.
Pet Partners® Team Evaluations – 2018
Denver Pet Partners will be offering Pet Partners Team Evaluations on the following dates in 2018.
- Saturday and Sunday, October 6-7, 2018 (@ Platte Valley Medical Center) (NOTE: These evaluations are full with a wait list. If you wish to have your name added to the wait list, please send an email with your name and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!)
Pet Partners® Team Evaluations – 2019
Denver Pet Partners will be offering Pet Partners Team Evaluations on the following dates in 2019:
- Saturday & Sunday, February 9-10, 2019 (@ Rocky Vista University)
- Saturday & Sunday, May 18-19, 2019 (@ Platte Valley Medical Center)
- Saturday & Sunday, August 17-18, 2019 (@ Rocky Vista University)
- Saturday & Sunday, October 5-6, 2019 (@ Rocky Vista University)