Denver Pet Partners does not train animals. We educate the human end of the leash (the Handler) on subjects such as risk management, infection control, engaging with different populations, recognizing stress signs in animals, and advocating for your therapy animal. To become a therapy animal/handler team, you must first take either an in-person Handler Training Class, which is for the handler only (there are no animals in the class) or an online Handler Training Class, which is offered by Pet Partners on their web site. After successful completion of either class, you and your animal can then be evaluated in a Team Evaluation, a 22-part skills and aptitude test. When you and your animal pass the team evaluation, you are ready to register as a therapy animal/handler team with Pet Partners. You must re-evaluate every two years.
You can sign up for the in-person Handler Training Class and Team Evaluation below. Classes and evaluations fill up quickly, so you are encouraged to sign up early. To sign up for the online Handler Training class, go to https://petpartners.org/learn/online-education/.
Pet Partners® Handler Training Courses – 2018
Denver Pet Partners will be offering Pet Partners Handler Training courses on the following dates in 2018.
Saturday, January 20, 2018 (@ Parker Adventist Hospital)(NOTE: This course is full. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the wait list.)
- Saturday, April 21, 2018 (@ Parker Adventist Hospital)
- Saturday, September 15, 2018 (@ Swedish Medical Center)
Note: You do not need to be a DPP Member to sign up for Handler Training.
Pet Partners® Team Evaluations – 2018
Denver Pet Partners will be offering Pet Partners Team Evaluations on the following dates in 2018.
- Saturday and Sunday, February 10-11, 2018 (@ Rocky Vista University) (Note: These evaluations are full. To be added to the wait list, please send an email to email@example.com with your name and a request to be added to the wait list.)
- Saturday and Sunday, May 19-20, 2018 (@ Rocky Vista University)
- Saturday and Sunday, October 6-7, 2018 (@ Rocky Vista University)